Thursday, February 21, 2008

Vanilla Sugar


In my previous post I discussed in passing, my previous obsession with vanilla extract. During my quest for the best tasting vanilla extract I fell in love with the flavor of vanilla, when it stands alone. One of the ways to use vanilla in a more pronounced way is to make vanilla sugar.


Of course this set me off on a whole expedition to find the perfect container to put my sugar in, the perfect vanilla beans, and finally the recipe for vanilla sugar that seemed best. The container portion didnt turn out to be that hard. A quick trip to my local container store and I found a jar with a wide opening so I would be able to measure out the sugar easily. The vanilla beans turned out to be pretty easy as well. My favorite vanilla extract company also produces beans and not surprisingly vanilla sugar. The hardest part then, became finding a recipe that seemed right. After searching through different recipes it became apparent that vanilla sugar is more a method than a formula.

I haven't tried my vanilla sugar yet, because it has to "steep" for a few weeks but I am excited and I do plan to use it in my baking in the future.

VANILLA SUGAR

2-4 cups of granulated sugar
2-3 vanilla beans

Split the vanilla beans open with a kitchen knife and scrape the insides out and place in the sugar. Mix the sugar and the vanilla beans "stuff" and place in an airtight container with the vanilla bean "shells" placed at the bottom. Place the container of sugar in a dark place for a few days or a few weeks.

* I used my food processor to combine the beans and the sugar
** click here for some fun facts on vanilla.

No comments: